lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Maik Schreiber <blizzy-keyword-lucene_dev.656...@blizzy.de>
Subject Re: Interfaces
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:22:17 GMT
> However, the primary focus of
> Lucene is and always will be performance.  It would be important to
> demonstrate that resource utilization and performance are not adversely
> affected by such changes.

I can't see why interfaces should affect performance or resource utilization
in a tangible way.

For interface calls, the resulting bytecode would use invokeinterface
instead of invokevirtual calls, but the speed difference is absolutely
negligible (in the range of 500 nanoseconds per call at most during my tests
with JDK 1.5.0_02 and JProfiler 3.3).

Resource utilization would take up some bytes for the additional interfaces
and generated code from the JIT compiler, but that's about it.

--
Maik Schreiber   *   http://www.blizzy.de

GPG public key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1F11D713
Key fingerprint: CF19 AFCE 6E3D 5443 9599 18B5 5640 1F11 D713