lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <>
Subject Re: patch - DEFAULT_ vars in IndexWriter non-final and DEFAULT for useCompoundFile
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 03:19:07 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> This isn't a coding convention, but rather software engineering.  If
> we wish to be able to back-compatibly modify Lucene's implementation
> at a later date, its usually easiest to have access through methods
> rather than fields, since we can intecept reads and writes to the field.
Standard accessor/mutator stuff... but how often is it used?  Rarely if
ever... The point being there are a lot of benefits to just make it
non-final.  I sent an email to commons-dev about this.   I should
probably just blog about  it so I can give you a permalink :)

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator).  Visit Ask me for an
invite!  Also see #rojo if you want to chat.

Rojo is Hiring! -

get a free iPod!
       AIM/YIM - sfburtonator,  Web -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: