lucene-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject Re: Committers: IntelliJ IDEA for open source developers
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:19:05 GMT
My addition to Eclipse lies in all the free plugins I can
get just by using a menu item from the Help menu. Actually,
I've never touched IntelliJ, though the freebee aspect
makes me tempted. One thing I *don't* like about IntelliJ
is the fact that, in Eclipse, I put comments in the import
statments telling which jar file to look in, and IntelliJ
*loves* to reformat files in its own image, tossing out my
comments. Collab development using cvs or other version
control system can be hazzardous to your mental health.

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:12:51 -0500
 Erik Hatcher <> wrote:
>I'm a recovering IntelliJ addict.  I decided to give
>Eclipse a very good try and do not mind it as much as I
>thought I would.  I'm now fluent in both and can honestly
>say I'm on the fence.  IntelliJ feels so much nicer and
>faster (on a Mac, mind you), yet Eclipse has a lot of
>conveniences also.  I still lean towards IntelliJ myself,
>but have a healthier respect for Eclipse than ever.
>	Erik
>On Feb 7, 2005, at 3:50 PM, <>
>> Where I work, some of us use Eclipse, which is nearly as
>> powerful as IntelliJ and totally free, and some of us
>> IntelliJ (the expensive version). Those of us used to
>> Eclipse see no need to change, and those using IntelliJ,
>> well, something about ripping objects from cold dead
>> hands...
>> Jack
>> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:30:07 -0500
>>  Erik Hatcher <> wrote:
>>> I know Doug wrote Lucene with emacs.  But I prefer an
>>> where I can "surf" around the codebase, and many of the
>>> other Lucene committers may also.  So here is your
>>> to get IDEA for free:
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: