lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Engels" <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject RE: Committers: IntelliJ IDEA for open source developers
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:19:22 GMT
Move up to an IDE... especially when there is at least one very good one
(eclipse) available for free. "Mucking" up the source-code just to support
those developers living in the dark ages doesn't seem prudent.

Having comments as to what jar resolves an import is also nearly impossible,
since this will actually be determined as runtime based on classloaders,
classpath, etc. Even the IDE will not report this correctly as the 'runtime'
configuration is in many cases different from the 'development' time
configuration.

Many "modern" software development methodologies require sufficient tools to
support the process. The idea of "continually" refactoring the code almost
certainly requires an IDE, or an advanced editor that has IDE-like
capabilities (I believe there are several Java "editors" that support code
refactoring).

Proper use of project defaults limits the problems when using CVS for team
development, as the code can be formatted/processed according to the project
default before commits/comparisons.

Sorry to all, since these comments are not Lucene related, but since one of
the original posters is a Lucene "heavyweight", I continued along...