lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: whither sandbox
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 01:36:26 GMT

On Feb 4, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> Also, we should package a lucene-XX-all.zip/.tar.gz that includes all
>> the contrib pieces also allowing someone to simply download Lucene
>> and all the packaged contrib pieces at once.
>
> I'll go further: that should be the only download.  We should avoid
> having a bunch of different downloads.  Ant used to require you to
> separately download the optional tasks, but that was a pain.  Now
> they're included.

And also, like Ant, we'll need some conditional tricks to get things to
build properly without having all the dependencies present.  We do not
want the build to fail if contrib/db's dependencies are not present,
nor should (or possibly even can) we check these into svn.  So, without
the dependencies the build will still work fine, but it'll only build
what it can and omit the rest.    Same goes with building Ant yourself
- it takes a lot of initial setup to get everything in place in order
to build a full version of Ant.  It won't be nearly as tricky with the
contrib components, but still an issue.

I'll work on also putting in an automatic download of the dependencies
(with a switch to turn this off, or perhaps vice versa) so that
building Lucene and the contrib pieces should work fully if you're
online the first time.

I'm going to put a TODO.txt file at the root of contrib to jot down the
wishlist and knock them out step-by-step.

	Erik