lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r155011 - lucene/java/trunk/src/java/overview.html
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:02:06 GMT

On Feb 23, 2005, at 12:06 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> ehatcher@apache.org wrote:
>> Log:
>> fix broken links to source
>> -&nbsp;<a
>> href="../../src/demo/org/apache/lucene/demo/
>> FileDocument.java">FileDocument.java</a> contains
>> +&nbsp;<a
>> href="http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/src/demo/org/
>> apache/lucene/demo/FileDocument.java">FileDocument.java</a> contains
>
> This makes the docs point to the current version of the code, rather
> than a version synchronized with the docs, and also makes the docs
> no-longer standalone.
>
> These links used to work both on the website and in a release, always
> pointing to a version in sync with the javadocs.  For it to work on
> the website, the src/demo tree needed to be checked out from CVS on
> www.apache.org and updated whenever the javadocs were updated.  In
> releases we always package the demo source code.
>
> We could do the same thing now that things are in subversion, no?

Perhaps what we need is an svn:externals mapping for a "site" where we
aggregate all the things we want in the website so we can do an easy
checkout to build the site.

Those few links point to demo code that hasn't changed in ages.
Someone reported to me privately that the links were broken - thats why
I "fixed" them.

To truly do the site right, we'd probably want the site to reflect a
specific released version of Lucene and only update the docs/code when
a new release is made.  I believe all this should be possible with
svn:externals.  Volunteers to set that up?

	Erik