lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: updating jakarta site
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:16:37 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Actually, currently we've got both lucene4c and java commits going to
> commits@lucene.apache.org, and there was some talk of just leaving it
> that way, since it isn't that much traffic and it encourages people to
> keep an eye on what's going on in other languages.

I think that's a bad idea.  Once there are lots of commits folks will
start unsubscribing or ignoring things.  Personally I only want to see
commits for projects that I'm actively contributing to.  I don't
anticipate I'll be comitting to lucene4c, so I don't feel the need to
track it on a commit-by-commit level.  I do anticipate I'll make commits
to Lucene Java, and try to carefully read every commit message for this
project.  Yes, I could set up filters so that I only see the commits I
like, but I'd much prefer these were simply separate mailing lists.
Soon we hope to have Nutch under Lucene's umbrella.  Do you and Erik
really want to see all of the Nutch commits in your inbox?

http://www.mail-archive.com/nutch-cvs%40lists.sourceforge.net/

We keep running into this same confusion: I think that the Lucene TLP
should be setup primarily as a container of sub-projects.  Jakarta
Lucene is the first of these and Lucene4c is the second.  We don't
intend to merge Jakarta Lucene and Lucene4c into a single project, with
the single set of developers, building a single download.  So each
component of Jakarta Lucene should be moved to a sub-component of Lucene
TLP, not to a top-level component.  This is the case for bug databases,
mailing lists, web sites, etc. across the board.  Do we disagree on this?

Doug