lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: Javadoc not available due to non-public classes?
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2005 01:52:36 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I'm personally not a fan of all those reports.

I wrote it (at least the first impl under Alexandria) ;) Ha... I guess
I'm biases ;)

> They are nice and all, but rarely add much. If folks need to x-ref the
> code then why not do it with the actual source code locally (and
> within an IDE its easy).

I can dive in and figure out the source without doing a CVS checkout. I
can also use permalinks to methods and line numbers which is HUGE

>> Maven essentially gives you this for free...
>

> Maven schmaven :) All I wanted was a (Lucene) JAR and I got a website.
> The bulk of what Maven produces is fluff.

No way... .jar task from one line of XML! The problem with Ant is that
its an XML code generator ;)

> Granted I'm quite biased though, so others are welcome to override me
> on this. I don't think Maven would do a good job in terms of our
> contrib area build integration, which is what I'm (slowly but surely)
> working on.

Maybe... you'd no better than I would.

The cool thing is that you could use Maven and ant concurrently. We do
in FeedParser...

> If you'd like to contribute a patch to add JXR to the Ant build, I'd
> be happy to evaluate it and add it. If we move to Maven, others will
> have to step up to refactor the build process - its not my cup of tea.

I'm not trying to push maven. I was just noting that you'd get JXR
output pretty quickly.

Anyway... not a big deal.

Kevin

get a free iPod!