lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: Patch - IndexReader methods and MultiSearcher methods...
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:18:27 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> Then use SearcherCache.getSearcher() whenever you need a searcher.
> You could make it more complicated, e.g., have it automatically update
> the searcher when the index has changed, etc.  But none of that
> requires or is in particular faciliated by subclassing IndexSearcher,
> so far as I can see.

This is just 1 issue with a patch that had 3 features.  I'd assume the
other patches can go through. :)

I *realize* that there are other ways to do this but we have some legacy
code that can't be rewritten right now.   Thus the change to protected
and using a reloadable implementation.

>> Why don't we do this.  I don't think we should have a setReader
>> then.  This way there's no strong contract that developers preserve
>> things that might break caching.  I'd like to keep the protected
>> change though.
>

> Making the field protected is just an obscure way of making it
> changeable.  If we really need to make it settable, then we should add
> a setReader() method and add some cautions to its documentation.  But
> I'm not yet convinced this needs to be settable.

This is just a pet peeve of mine.  There's no reason to prevent
innovation here and make it hard.  If I know what I'm doing I'm going to
recompile from source and changed it to protected ;).  Doing so however
takes time and its a pain to change everytime I have to upgrade.  Having
this class protected allows for expert developers who know what they're
doing to take their own risks and provide innovative solutions.

This is slighly off topic but the entire ECB project (ecb.sf.net)
wouldn't exist if it weren't for some smart Emacs developers adding
function advice.

Anyway... adding protected doesn't seem like the end of the world. If
you don't want to add it thats fine but there are two other patches
there which aren't very controversial so I'd like to get those accepted :)

Kevin

get a free iPod!