lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubating Lucene.Net
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:01:06 GMT
George Aroush wrote:
> Any thoughts on Lucene.Net/dotLucene package name are welcome.

I agree that Lucene.Net is a better name.  It's more consistent with
Lucene Java and Lucene4c, the names for other ports of Lucene.  I think
it's okay to reclaim the name of an abandonded project, especially if
the abandoned project is better known and is substantially similar.

The only problem would be if someone else felt that the name Lucene.Net
was their property.  But the folks at http://searchblackbox.com/ don't
use name Lucene.Net anymore.  Also, I owned and used the domain
lucene.net to refer to Apache's Lucene before the Sourceforge Lucene.Net
project started in 8/03, which arguably gives me rights to the name:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.lucene.net/

Doug