lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Incubating Lucene.Net
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:58:47 GMT
George Aroush wrote:
> Hi Garrett,
>
> Thanks for your support.
>
> No, the port of 1.4.0 and 1.4.3 of dotLucene is from the ground up and has
> nothing to do with Lucene.Net 1.3.  The logs on SourceForge.net shows this.

Excellent.  I'm glad to hear it.

> The conflicting question that I have is, Lucene.Net is a better name then
> dotLucene.  On SourceForge.Net we picked dotLucene because LuceneDotNet was
> taken (the previous developer, back then)  So my choice is to call it
> Lucene.Net instead of dotLucene as it is more appropriate.  In addition, the
> project, including namespace, is referred to as Lucene.Net -- only the
> distribution package is called dotLucene.
>
> Any thoughts on Lucene.Net/dotLucene package name are welcome.

I don't have any opinion one way or the other on the name, but I will
mention that I've always thought it was kind of odd to use something
like 'Lucene.Net' as the internal namespace, the .Net portion seems
rather redundant, given that you're talking about C# code it's rather
obvious that it's .Net, why not simply place it in the Lucene namespace
and save some typing?

-garrett