lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Changing INDEX_INTERVAL to allow smaller memory footprint?
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:18:32 GMT
I started a thread about a week ago about the memory footprint of
opening up a lucene index.

Our 30G index takes about 980M of memory to open.

Otis and some others suggested changing TermInfosWriter.INDEX_INTERVAL
(or specifically a variable that is 128 by default).  I grepped through
the sources and this is the only one mentioned.

I did a recompile and didn't notice any change in memory footprint.  Do
I have to re-optimize my index?

What are the pros/cons for this setting?  Will I see a performance
slowdown on searches becaause of this?  I was thinking of changing it to
256/512 to try to get my memory down by 1/2 or 1/4...

Thanks!

Kevin

get a free iPod!