lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: lucene.apache.org
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:21:14 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
> And we also want to try not to break URLs when we move things.  For this
> reason it's best to move things as few tims as possible, so that we
> don't end up with a confusing set of redirects.

More to the point, we also want to try not to break email addresses.  So
the fewer times we change them the fewer forwards we'll have to
maintain.  The new dev list should be java-dev@lucene.apache.org, the
new user list should be java-user@lucene.apache.org, etc.

If folks don't like the moniker "Lucene Java" then we could consider
different names, like "Lucene4j" or somesuch.

Apache started out with just a single project, the web server.  When
other (now called "top level") projects were added, the webserver was
renamed "Apache Server" and was hosted at httpd.apache.org.  Eventually
the name evolved to "Apache HTTP Server".

We're in a similar situation.  Lucene is both the top-level name and the
flagship sub-project.  It is the burden of the sub-project to rename itself.

However if we want to take more time to consider what to name Lucene
Java, then we should backout the redirects and stay at
http://www.jakarta.apache.org/lucene/ until we've picked a new name.

Doug