lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Study Group (WAS Re: Normalized Scoring)
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:53:45 GMT
Paul Elschot wrote:
> I learned a lot by adding some javadocs to such classes. I suppose Doug
> added the Expert markings, but I don't know their precise purpose.

The "Expert" declaration is meant to indicate that most users should not
need to understand the feature.  Lucene's API seeks to be both simple
and flexible, but this is not always possible.  When flexibility is
added that is not part of the simple API, it is deemed "expert".  For
example, we don't expect most users to need to write new Query
implementations.  So Query methods that are only used internally in
query processing are marked "Expert", since they only need to be
understood by those implementing a Query.

Doug