lucene-dev mailing list archives

From David Spencer <dave-lucene-...@tropo.com>
Subject Re: more sandbox questions
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 06:21:53 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> XML-Indexing-Demo - I propose this be moved to an "examples" area if we
> keep it at all.
>
> parsers - Is anyone using the PDF parser here?
>
> taglib - my bad in committing this in the first place - its not well
> implemented and of marginal use.  I propose to remove it entirely.
>
> miscellaneous - I propose that when moved to contrib/util.
>
> similarity & spellchecker - I propose this be combined with the
> contrib/util.
>
> Thoughts on these?

Another way of looking at it is to group query expansion code together
i.e. similarity + spellchecker + wordnet go together. I think calling
things "util" or "misc" demeans them - but disclaimer, these 3 things
are coincidentally all mine.

> The contrib area should be useful add-ons to Lucene's core, and isn't
> really appropriate for examples/demos, it seems to me.
>
> The tricky pieces are miscellaneous, similarity, and spellchecker.
> These are tiny by themselves and putting them in a util area and
> packaging them altogether seems ok to me at one level, but does it make
> more sense to keep these completely separate?

OK, to be more concrete, I'll suggest the 3 above go to "search" or
"query-expansion".