lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: What does [] do to a query and what's up with lucene.apache.org?
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:05:21 GMT
On Feb 14, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Erik Hatcher wrote:
>> I'm really at the limit of my bandwidth - I've got the sandbox
>> restructuring effort on my plate right now and would like it if
>> someone could pick up the ball on the web site side of things.
>
> Then perhaps you shouldn't have redirected everything to
> lucene.apache.org...

I think the redirects are all fine now.  Let me know if not.

As for my bandwidth - I don't mind fiddling with the redirects and
such.  What I meant is that I'm not planning on spending time revamping
the actual HTML itself in terms of Forrestization.

> We need to fix this ASAP.  I just checked out the java lucene docs in
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/.  Now we just need to fixup the
> redirects, so that http://lucene.apache.org/ and
> http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/ both redirect to
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/.

Actually it should have been checked out to /java/docs to mirror how
the jakarta site was set up.  I've corrected this.

I added a symlink to the jakarta api docs until we figure out how we
want to deal with it.  Hopefully that all works fine too.

> How did you implement the redirect?  It's not a meta redirect, so they
> must be in the web server configuration?  How does one change that?

.htaccess files.  The Jakarta redirect is in the site module in
Subversion, under docs.  The redirect is this:

	RedirectMatch Permanent ^/lucene(.*) http://lucene.apache.org/java$1

On the lucene.apache.org side, there is a .htaccess in
/www/lucene.apache.org - though we should get this in SVN some where I
suppose.

> It's worth looking at what various search engines list for Lucene and
> making sure that those links are not broken:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?&q=+site%3Aapache.org+lucene
> http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=lucene+site%3Aapache.org
> http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=site%3Aapache.org+lucene

As far as I can tell, all the redirects should be working fine for the
URL's I see there.  If you see otherwise, let me know.

	Erik