lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what if the IndexReader crashes, after delete, before close.
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:39:18 GMT
Terry Steichen wrote:
> Would it be
> possible to optimize the operation to use 1.4 runtime features but
> retain the option, if desired to run in a legacy (1.3) environment,
> perhaps in a degraded mode?

Lucene 1.4.3 is a "degraded" mode, no?

There are still back-compatibility issues.  To be safe, Lucene 2.0
should still respect Lucene 1.x file locks.  So FSDirectory's
Lock.obtain() should fail if a lock file exists, unless it's a lock file
written by Lucene 2.0 and java.nio.FileLock says its unlocked.  To
implement this I guess we'd need to store a version number in the lock
files.  Does that sound right?

Doug