lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Bernhard Messer <bmes...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CFS file and file formats
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:49:47 GMT
Doug Cutting schrieb:

> Bernhard Messer wrote:
>
>> Why not implementing a small utility class, f.e CompoundFileUtil.java
>> within the org.apache.lucene.index Package ? This class could be
>> public and implement the necessary functionality. This is what i
>> would prefer, because we don't have to change the visibility of
>> CompoundFileReader or other parts of the API. The other option would
>> be to add a public static method to IndexReader class. But i don't
>> like to overwhelm IndexReader with a method, just a very small
>> audience would use.
>

> Currently IndexWriter is the only public place in the API where the
> compound format appears.  So, until we decide to expose index formats
> more systematically, I think this should stay at the IndexReader level.
>
> Thus I would prefer a main() on IndexReader that had various commands,
> perhaps something like:
>
>   java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> cfs list
>   java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> cfs extract
>   java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> unlock
>   java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> list-segments

this looks ok for me for the moment, but i still favorite an additional
class within the same package. Something like "IndexUtil" which could
hold all this kind of functionality. If there is some time over the
weekend, i will have a look on it how much effort it will be to have
those 4 methods in IndexReader.

Bernhard