lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CFS file and file formats
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:05:23 GMT
Bernhard Messer wrote:
> Why not implementing a small utility class, f.e CompoundFileUtil.java
> within the org.apache.lucene.index Package ? This class could be public
> and implement the necessary functionality. This is what i would prefer,
> because we don't have to change the visibility of CompoundFileReader or
> other parts of the API. The other option would be to add a public static
> method to IndexReader class. But i don't like to overwhelm IndexReader
> with a method, just a very small audience would use.

Currently IndexWriter is the only public place in the API where the
compound format appears.  So, until we decide to expose index formats
more systematically, I think this should stay at the IndexReader level.

Thus I would prefer a main() on IndexReader that had various commands,
perhaps something like:

   java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> cfs list
   java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> cfs extract
   java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> unlock
   java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> list-segments

etc.

Doug