lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Bernhard Messer <bmes...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CFS file and file formats
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:54:05 GMT
Doug Cutting schrieb:

> Bernhard Messer wrote:
>
>>> I understand the technical reason for main() there, but logically this
>>> belongs to an external utility class, I think.
>>>
>> Otis you are right, i already thought about it. It could be simply
>> moved to a newly created class in org.apache.lucene.util package. But
>> then we have to change the visibility of CompoundFileReader to
>> public. I have no problems with a public CompoundFileReader class.
>> Does anybody see a reason that the visibility of CompoundFileReader
>> should not be changed to public ?
>

> Yes.  Historically we've tried hard in Lucene to not make things
> public unless they're useful to users.  We try to keep the public API
> as small as possible.  This makes the documentation easier to read and
> also makes the system easier to maintain.  CompoundFileReader is an
> implementation class, not a user class.

Why not implementing a small utility class, f.e CompoundFileUtil.java
within the org.apache.lucene.index Package ? This class could be public
and implement the necessary functionality. This is what i would prefer,
because we don't have to change the visibility of CompoundFileReader or
other parts of the API. The other option would be to add a public static
method to IndexReader class. But i don't like to overwhelm IndexReader
with a method, just a very small audience would use.

Bernhard