lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CFS file and file formats
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:42:32 GMT
Bernhard Messer wrote:
>> I understand the technical reason for main() there, but logically this
>> belongs to an external utility class, I think.
>>
> Otis you are right, i already thought about it. It could be simply moved
> to a newly created class in org.apache.lucene.util package. But then we
> have to change the visibility of CompoundFileReader to public. I have no
> problems with a public CompoundFileReader class. Does anybody see a
> reason that the visibility of CompoundFileReader should not be changed
> to public ?

Yes.  Historically we've tried hard in Lucene to not make things public
unless they're useful to users.  We try to keep the public API as small
as possible.  This makes the documentation easier to read and also makes
the system easier to maintain.  CompoundFileReader is an implementation
class, not a user class.

Doug