lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: auto-filters?
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:07:05 GMT
markharw00d wrote:
> If we intend to make more use of filters this may be an appropriate time
> to raise a general question I have on their use.  Is there a danger in
> tieing them to a specific  implementation (java.util.BitSet)?

I do not object in principal to replacing BitSet with an interface, e.g.
DocIdSet.  Please feel free to submit a more detailed proposal for this.
  I think this is not so performance intensive that an extra method call
will be significant.  If it is, then we can simply have Lucene's
BitVector implement this interface directly.

We must be careful to preserve the distinction between Filter and
DocIdSet.  Filters are query-independent and serializeable, passed
across the wire with RemoteSearchable requests.  DocIdSets are
query-dependent, should be computed and cached locally, and not passed
over the wire.

Doug