lucene-dev mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: auto-filters?
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:18:03 GMT
Sounds like a good idea. It avoids issues for the novice users (who
haven't explicitly constructed filters) and simplifies the code of
experienced users who take the trouble to create filters manually.

If we intend to make more use of filters this may be an appropriate time
to raise a general question I have on their use.  Is there a danger in
tieing them to a specific  implementation (java.util.BitSet)?
If we work to an interface we introduce the possibility of  introducing
more efficient alternatives. As as an example -  a date filter for an
index where documents are added in chronological order would only ever
need to keep two ints (not a bitset of all doc ids) to filter that
range of docs. The downside of course is that introducing such an
abstraction to filtering would add an extra method invocation around
plain old BitSets.
Has this approach already been considered and discounted?

Cheers,
Mark