lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: kick-start: Lucene to top-level project
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:49:21 GMT
On Dec 10, 2004, at 3:27 PM, Terry Steichen wrote:
> Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why?

Ah, excellent question that I should have addressed in my first message.

Bringing Lucene under a top-level project would allow us to eventually
bring the other Lucene ports that choose to Apache Software License
their code under the same umbrella.  This would allow us to more easily
create compatibility test suites to ensure version compatibility (or at
least identify incompatibilities clearly).  With the new projects
coming in, we could bring in new committers and partition the
repositories in finer-grained ways.

>   Sounds like a fair amount of work is involved.

It will be a fair amount of work, mostly administrative.

> PS: Heck, just to prove it's probably a dumb question, I still don't
> even understand either the technical or organizational relationship(s)
> between Lucene and Nutch.

Nutch is a full-web crawler built, by Doug, using Lucene indexes under
the covers.  Organizationally, Nutch is under a Apache compatible
license.  I don't believe any committers, other than Doug, overlap
though.  We would be bringing in a new set of committers on the Nutch
side of things.

	Erik