lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] search.apache.org
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:32:53 GMT
On Dec 22, 2004, at 10:23 AM, Pasha Bizhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
>>
>> Any additional comments or objections to this proposal?  If I
>> don't hear otherwise, I'll send this to the Jakarta PMC by
>> the end of the day today.
>
> I think that "search.apache.org' is not good name for this project and
> Lucene is better.
> Will the second edition of your book be titled "Search.Apache.Org in
> Action"?-)
> Also are your going to rename all namespaces from org.apache.lucene.*
> search.org.apache.*?
> Etc..

Lucene is certainly an major player in the initial creation of
search.apache.org, however Nutch and other search-related applications,
tools, etc would be considered for inclusion there too.

Look at the other new top-level projects - db.apache.org,
portals.apache.org, and logging.apache.org.  Same idea applies there.

No, we would not change the package names of Lucene.  Lucene will still
be a sub-project within a top-level project, just as it is under
Jakarta now.  Jakarta is server-side Java-centric and Lucene has been
ported to numerous languages (as you well know!).  Perhaps you'd be
interested in ASL'ing your implementation and contributing it to the
new search.apache.org project :))

	Erik