lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: two versioning problems with Lucene
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:01:05 GMT
On Dec 8, 2004, at 4:24 AM, John Haxby wrote:
> Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>
>>      Any such custom hack requires maintenance, even
>> if it's auto-generated.
>>
> The corollary of which is that if the version number is in two places,
> one of them will be wrong.

And this is what I've been alluding to.  DRY is a principle I strongly
subscribe to - Don't Repeat Yourself.

Notice also that the Lucene version number is part of the filename of
the JAR: lucene-1.4.3.jar.  This is good enough for my purposes of
seeing which version of Lucene I'm using visually.  I don't rename my
JAR files.

The WebStart point is well taken though, and an area I'm increasingly
involved in.  Both of my last projects have involved a WebStart
component, however there was no client-side Lucene so I have not dealt
with the repackaging of it.

	Erik