lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene jGuru FAQ
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:02:46 GMT

On Dec 31, 2004, at 7:19 AM, Daniel Naber wrote:
> Then basically my whole faq to wiki conversion was wasted time, as
> we'll
> have two FAQs again? That was the reason to move to the wiki: avoid
> useless content duplication. Maybe jGuru should convert its FAQ to a
> real
> forum.

It wasn't wasted time at all.  The "official" FAQ is now the wiki.

We cannot stop, nor should we try, other forums from hosting Lucene
related content.  JavaRanch, jGuru, TheServerSide, etc all have
Lucene-related content.  jGuru is a forum _and_ FAQ.  A maintainer
(Otis in this case, and myself for the Ant one) at jGuru is responsible
for promoting forum entries to FAQ entries.

I have mixed feelings about the jGuru situation as it relates to be
personally as a co-maintainer of the Ant area.  I would like to see the
quality jGuru system and content more open, but also understand their
situation as a company.

I strongly suspect that there is very little overlap between the
communities of people that frequent the user list and these other
web-based forums.  I personally prefer the e-mail list and the wiki as
_the_ source of Lucene information.  Others, however, find that web
forums handy.  jGuru's search is quite nice, though finding something
specific on the wiki FAQ shouldn't be difficult either.

	Erik