lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: do we need two FAQs?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:06:47 GMT
I find it odd that the "official" FAQ for this important open source
project is maintained at an external commercial website.

When I first visited the jGuru FAQ a couple of years ago, I was put
off by the "PREMIUM" notice next to Otis's name, and (for whatever
reason) got the impression that only paying members could access the
content.  I later figured out this wasn't true, but only after having
abandoned the effort the first time (and this is exactly when a
project can least afford to put people off).

Otis, check yourself.  It's true that you are the FAQ maintainer, but
only you are agreeing to keep things as they are, in the face of vocal
opposition.  There is the *appearance* of a conflict of interest in
your stance (whether or not this is the case).

In my opinion, the features jGuru provides do not win over those
available via the Wiki (especially when you consider the blaring
commercial messages you have to endure at jGuru).  And the benefit of
having a single place to go for info about Lucene puts the Wiki on top
for me.

+1 Wiki
-1 jGuru

Steve Rowe