lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migration to SVN?
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:00:34 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> The "least effort" way of doing that would be to include both the core
> and sandbox under the same trunk, but again, that implies that you
> ALWAYS tag and branch them together, and sometimes you may not want to
> do that.

I think we should always branch these together.  To my thinking, the
distinction between "core" and "sandbox" is primarily be one of
packaging: the core should be separate jar, as should each of the
sandbox elements.  But all should be released and tested as a unit, to
ensure compatibility.

I think the term "sandbox" is misleading and has outlived its
usefulness.  We should probably rename this to something like "utils" or
"optional".  These should be treated much like Ant's optional tasks:
package them as separate jars, segregate their documentation, but don't
branch them separately.  Perhaps we should also make it so that a failed
sandbox build or unit test does not stop a build: the quality guarantee
need not be as high for sandbox items.

Doug