lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Migration to SVN?
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:40:37 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> I don't know how exactly SVN works, but one of the things we have
> talked about in the past is that we currntly do not tag, branch, and
> release sandbox components, and we all agree that we should.
> Furthermore, because of API changes, keeping core and sandbox in sync
> is important.  Perhaps we can make our lives simpler by tagging,
> branching, and releasing sandbox WHENEVER we tag, branch, or release
> the core, and we could do it in the way that keep tag, branch, and
> release names in sync.
> Something like:
>   lucene_core_1.4.3 -- lucene_sandbox_1.4.3
>   lucene_core_2.0.0   -- lucene_sandox_2.0.0
>
> I'm not sure which directory structure would be best for this, but this
> is an issue we've repeatedly talked in the past, so we should strngly
> consider whichever structure permits this with the least effort.
>
> SVN users: which of the structures proposed so far satisfy this?

The "least effort" way of doing that would be to include both the core
and sandbox under the same trunk, but again, that implies that you
ALWAYS tag and branch them together, and sometimes you may not want to
do that.  It's not that much harder to simply make a separate tag as
part of the release procedures, which is what APR does with the apr-util
and apr-iconv subprojects, which are always released at the same time as
the core apr project.  It's really just a matter of having a well
defined release procedure, which can just be scripted to do what you
want every time.

-garrett