lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Murray Altheim <>
Subject Re: potential new Lucene logo
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:41:48 GMT
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> David Spencer wrote:
>>Doug Cutting wrote:
>>>I don't feel too proprietary.  Do folks prefer Murray's reworked
>>>Lucene logo or the original logo?
>>I'm sorry, but I prefer the orig. The new one seems too elongated to me.
> Me too... I think the "e" in the new font is unreadable, and the new
> logo is too angular, the old one is more rotund at the edges, and the
> old "n" provides a nice break in the baseline...
> OTOH, I always had this (intended, according to Doug) impression that
> the original logo belongs to the 60' era, and denotes something
> outdated, old. So perhaps this is a good opportunity to bring it into
> the new era... :

I'm not intending to put any fuss about this, but it's relatively
simple to either change the aspect ratio of the current logo, or
push the characters closer together. Changing the 'e' would be a
bit more difficult, but not really a problem either. I could do
this towards the mid- to latter part of next week if people were

Murray Altheim
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

                  Empty handed, holding a hoe,
                  Walking, riding a water buffalo,
                  A man is crossing over a bridge;
                  The bridge, not the water, flows.

                         -- Mahasattva Fu, The Blue Cliff Record [96]

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message