lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: potential new Lucene logo
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:25:06 GMT
Murray Altheim wrote:
> I thought I'd have a go at the
> Lucene logo, not to change it markedly but clean it up so that it
> is based on an existing font. This potential Lucene logo is based
> on an ITC font called Magneto Bold Extended, which you can see here:
>
>     http://www.identifont.com/show?72W
>
> I modified the 'c' slightly because at small sizes it starts
> looking too much like an 'e', especially since in the Lucene
> logo the baseline is extended across the entire logo. I experimented
> with several border thicknesses, settling on one that was visible
> at small sizes but not too thick at larger sizes. Here's a sample
> of the result:
>
>     http://www.altheim.com/murray/img/lucene-20b-320w.jpg

Thanks!  This looks nice to me.

> I've posted a zip file containing a number of sizes plus the
> originals, which are in SVG and PNG:
>
>    http://www.altheim.com/murray/img/lucene_logo.zip (198K)
>
> The SVG file is the source image, and after conversion into a
> raster format I did some bit hand cleaning to end up with the
> PNG, which is a 9394x961px image at 72dpi. Being available as
> a very large PNG, it can then be used for T-shirts, etc. I
> consider the PNG image the master, since it's had some cleanup
> in evening out lines and curves, etc.

I just put the original, scalable artwork for the existing logo at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/lucene.eps

I have used the Gimp in the past to generate high-resolution PNG files
from this when needed.

> The one thing about the logo (either the existing one or the
> one I've done) is that neither do too well when shrunk small.
> The source PNG can be reduced to any size, but after reduction
> to small sizes often needs some hand cleanup. This could be
> fixed by no longer using an outline around the font, but I
> didn't want to take that kind of liberty with the design,
> especially since then it would be a single-colour font. I kinda
> like the current design, as it reminds me of a logo from a
> recreational vehicle (camper, caravan, etc.)

The design was originally donated by Jeff Boozer and Joy Busse in April
of 1998.  I asked for something that looked like 60's refrigerator chrome.

> I realize that sometimes people feel (understandably) proprietary
> about a given image, and I don't mean to push this image on anyone.
> If the group wants to use it, I'm fine with that, and release any
> rights on its use. I'll leave the zip file online for several
> weeks, then it will be removed.

I don't feel too proprietary.  Do folks prefer Murray's reworked Lucene
logo or the original logo?

Doug