lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migration to SVN?
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:39:55 GMT
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:26:32 -0500, Garrett Rooney
<rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> Giulio Cesare Solaroli wrote:
> > I am not a commiter (just an happy user!), but I would suggest the
> > following layout:
> >
> > asf-repo/
> >   jakarta/
> >     lucene/
> >       trunk/
> >          core/
> >          sandbox/
> >       branches/
> >       tags/
> >
> > This layout will allow tags and branches of both core and sandbox to
> > be kept in sync without any effort.
> >
> > Does this make any sense?
>
> Six of one, half dozen of the other.  Honestly, I prefer to split the
> projects out and give them their own trunk/branches/tags directories,
> just because it seems cleaner to me and additionally because it's the
> way other projects I've known at the ASF run things.  I like to be able
> to look in the branches and tags directory and know what the
> tags/branches correspond to immediately, as opposed to this kind of
> layout where a branch/tag could be just the core, just the sandbox,
> both, etc.  You wouldn't want to always branch/tag both, but sometimes
> you might, the ambiguity bothers me.

Either works and SVN suggest both as strategies (they have pro's and
con's for each but you'd have to look them up in the book). As Garrett
says, most of the others are going the other way, but all I care about
from a Jakarta level is that we keep sub-projects in a single
directory if possible so it's up to Lucene.

One reason for that is so that when people move to TLP, it'll be a
clean easy move of a single directory up a level.

Hen