lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: do we need two FAQs?
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:49:16 GMT
On Dec 19, 2004, at 8:37 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> OK.
> Is this _really_ what everyone's okay with?  I'm asking because once we
> put the FAQ onto Wiki we:
>
> 1. no longer have authoritative FAQ - anyone can write to the FAQ
> 2. we have to monitor the Wiki FAQ for correctness
> 3. we have no user-friendly GUI/webapp for Q/A formatting, which makes
> it more of a pain in the ass to contribute
>
> If anyone has any strong opinions, please share them.  If I don't hear
> anything, I'll (try to) get the jGuru FAQ XML dump and give it to
> Daniel for 'wikification'.

I prefer to leverage the wiki for this type of information for a number
of reasons.  It is self-maintaining, not requiring a committer to take
time out to commit changes and update the website.  We have e-mail
notification of wiki modifications and thus we already have monitoring.
  There are many cases when using Lucene when the answer is "it depends"
(such as the filtering question that just came up).  Having a wiki
"whiteboard" for these scenarios allows for a broader perspective.

	Erik