lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: two versioning problems with Lucene
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:13:49 GMT
On Dec 7, 2004, at 12:42 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
>> We could easily store the version number in a Java static variable
>> somewhere, but let's first explore whether the manifest information is
>> sufficient.
>
> Will this work in the face of re-packaging?  For instance, suppose I
> unpack the class files from the jar file and use them directly?  Or
> then re-package them into a different jar file along with my set of
> classes?

It would only work if you kept the manifest entries (see Lucene's build
file or the manifest itself for details).

It could be argued that if you repackage that the version number is not
a reliable number, or at least it should also be noted that its not
*exactly* the same version of Lucene as the official binary download
JAR file.

	Erik