lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Naber <>
Subject Deleting document in IndexWriter
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:16:31 GMT

the request to delete documents in IndexWriter instead of IndexReader comes
up regularly. What if we implement a delete() method in IndexWriter like

  public synchronized void delete(int docNum) throws IOException {
    IndexReader ireader =;

deleteIngoreLock would be a new method just like delete, but that doesn't
create a lock -- it uses the IndexWriter's lock which exists all the time.
Would this work and would this be safe?

I'm well aware that this can be slow, but it makes deleting documents so
much easier for many people who don't have huge indices. We could document
the fact that it's slow and use an array of document IDs to encourage
people to delete more than one document at once, so the overhead of
opening the reader becomes less.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message