lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: two versioning problems with Lucene
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:56:38 GMT
Hello,

--- Bill Janssen <janssen@parc.com> wrote:

> > To address the issue Bill just brought up, I refer you to the
> > documentation of the Ant <jar> task.  Check out the filesetmanifest
>
> > attribute options:
> >
> > 	http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/jar.html
> >
> > I have not yet tried this relatively new (as of Ant 1.6, since we
> > didn't write about it in Java Development with Ant), but it looks
> like
> > it addresses the concern of repackaging and keeping the manifest
> > version information from being lost.
>
> That's fine if you're using Ant to build, but lots of folks don't.
>
> Bill

Somebody told my wife the other day that she could work as a freelance
editor.  Editing what, I asked.  Editing university student's papers,
the person said.  It pays alright.  People do it, but both my wife and
I agree it's completely wrong, so she's not even considering that.

Maybe this wasn't as good of an analogy as I had initially thought, but
just because people use Makefiles to repackage Jars and do it
incorrectly, or in a way that makes them lose provided information,
doesn't mean that we have to account for them.  In my mind this is
similar to supporting broken HTML, when there are clearly defined and
well-known standards.

Of course, this is only my opinion, and I don't expect everyone to
agree - how boring would that be! :)

Otis