lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] search.apache.org
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:17:10 GMT

On Dec 20, 2004, at 9:43 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Sounds ok to me.  There is no mention of Nutch, though.  If Nutch is
> going through Incubator with its own proposal, maybe we need to say
> that.
> Let's give time developers in other time zones to add themselves to the
> list.

Sam Ruby recommended that we not emphasize making search.apache.org an
umbrella project:

Sam Ruby had the following advice:

>> The board has a bias against self-referential definitions (the 'foo'
>> project is for managing software related to the 'foo' project -
>> believe it or not, this happens all too often).  So naming the
>> proposed project something like search is a good idea.
>>
>> The board tends to prefer projects whose scopes don't overlap with
>> other projects.  That does not appear to be a problem here.  In other
>> cases, this involves highlighting differences in technical approaches
>> taken by two "competing" projects.
>>
>> Finally, some members of the board have a strong bias against
>> umbrella projects.  My advice here is to not emphasize this aspect of
>> the proposal.  Overall, the fact that this reduces the size of the
>> Jakarta project umbrella, those with this bias will be happy.

While I'm confident that Nutch will be accepted for incubation and then
migrate out of incubation, this is not a done deal.  We have a
compelling reason to bring Lucene to TLP without Nutch.  Nutch has a
compelling reason to incubate without worrying about its future home
(which theoretically could be under Jakarta or Lucene (though of course
search.apache.org is where its aimed).

	Erik