lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Palmer, Andrew MMI Woking" <andrew.pal...@vnuinc.co.uk>
Subject Sorting Of Index
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:29:27 GMT

Hi,

I have been using Lucene now for about 4 years (pre Jakarta) and the
system has worked fine.
One feature that would be nice for my development would be the ability
to sort the index by a particular field.

There has been a marked performance improvement when the index is sorted
in the same order I am extracting the Documents.  I do not use a Query
as some of the selections would not be easy to describe this way.

I have been doing the sort in my current code, but it takes a long time
as it involves adding the records to the end of the index (in the
correct order) and then deleting any duplicated records.

This sorting would be very useful to me, and save a fair bit of running
time.

Andrew