lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Wachter <Stefan.Wach...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: encoding of german analyzer source files
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:00:14 GMT
Hi Daniel,

I am using NetBeans 3.6 which certainly is unicode aware. Yet, NetBeans
seems not to detect that the source files of Lucene are UTF-8 encoded
automatically. I guess that it uses the platform specific default
encoding which is ISO-8859-1 for my Linux operating system.

I think what Java lacks is a means to indicate the encoding of source
files (e.g. <?java encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> in a XMLish way). The
encoding has to be fed into the system from the outside. What else could
be the reason for having an encoding switch to the java compiler?
Therefore I think it is best to have Java source files to be plain ASCII.

Cheers,
--Stefan