lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Wachter <Stefan.Wach...@gmx.de>
Subject encoding of german analyzer source files
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:42:18 GMT
Hi all,

in the 1.4.2 distribution the source files of the german analyzer
classes are encoded in UTF-8. (CHANGES.txt reports that Otis Gospodnetic
changed the file encoding of theses files to UTF-8. I guess that their
original encoding was ISO-8859-1.) With UTF-8 encoding theses source
files look rather strange when viewed on an "ISO-8859-1" development
environment because they contain german umlauts and the "sharp s". In
addition, they can not be compiled directly under such an environment. (The
lucene build.xml sets the java compiler encoding to "utf-8" which make
thinks fine.)

In order to make the source of the german analyzer class platform
independent I propose to use the corresonding Java unicode escapes where
the special characters are used.

Best regards,
--Stefan