lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Bernhard Messer <bmes...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-lucene/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser TestQueryParser.java
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:10:12 GMT
Erik Hatcher schrieb:

> On Nov 24, 2004, at 2:23 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 10:54, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>>
>>> I much prefer to see our tests and complete codebase without
>>> deprecation warnings, however it seems to be a good idea to keep our
>>> test cases using both the new and deprecated API's until we do the full
>>> clean-up in 2.0.
>>

>> I'd agree, but I'm not sure how that is possible without just copying
>> many
>> testcases and replacing only the deprecated calls.
>

> Sorry, my message was not quite what I meant.  I didn't mean to
> duplicate test cases, but rather leave the test cases calling the
> deprecated methods for the time being.  If it is deemed appropriate to
> also have a new test case to test the new methods, then even better.
>
> Or maybe we could put together an all-encompassing
> TestDeprecatedMethods that at least had calls to all the methods we've
> deprecated, but doesn't necessarily test return values or behavior.
> Then we could fix all the deprecation warnings in the other test cases
> and leave this as the one test that at least the method signatures are
> viable (and we can be reasonably sure that if the method signatures
> still work that the behavior has not changed, I presume).

creating an all-encompassing TestDeprecatedMethods class seems to be
more difficult than it looks for the moment. Wouldn't it be easier to
copy the Testcases from 1.4.2 in a seperate, new folder
"test-deprecated" and leave them as they are. All work, removing
deprecation warnings, add new test cases could be done without modifying
the originals within the new folder. When we run the ant-task on both
directories, we can make sure that both, the deprecated and new methods
are working properly.

Bernhard