lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Bernhard Messer <bmes...@apache.org>
Subject jdk 1.3 versus jdk 1.4
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:47:46 GMT
Hi,

since the last changes in lucene, we are not longer backward compatible
with jdk 1.3. All the pure guys, running IBM WebSphere 4.x with IBM JDK
1.3, lost their chances to run lucene newer than version 1.4.2.
Especially in huge companies, where it is not so trivial to upgrade to a
new java version, this could reduce the acceptance for lucene

There are two major reasons for loosing the compatibility:
 - the new MMapDirectory class
 - several code parts like:
    catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {
      throw new RuntimeException(e);
    }

I think we simply can ignore the first one because MMapDirectory is
optional anyway. This is an acceptable price for using outdated software ;-)
The second problem could be solved easily using the string constructor
in java.lang.RuntimeException which is available since 1.0.
At least we have to document it somehow. There is a chapter "What are
Lucene system requirements" in the faq. Is this an ideal place to
document it.

I'd like to make the changes for being backward compatible as far as
possible. Does anybody disagree ?

Bernhard