lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: jdk 1.3 versus jdk 1.4
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:06:51 GMT
On Tuesday 16 November 2004 13:15, Bernhard Messer wrote:
> >On Monday 15 November 2004 13:47, Bernhard Messer wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >The reason this is sometimes useful is that knowledge about nested
> > exception is very useful for debugging; especially line numbers.
> > (in my case I use it to keep Woodstox XML-parser 1.2 compatible, while
> > using LinkedHashMap, and nested exceptions, if possible)
> >
> >The solution is not a one-liner though (if someone is interested, let me
> > know and I can point you to the source code), so maybe it's easier to
> > just "dumb it down" to using String constructor. But I just thought I'll
> > mention that it can be completely resolved if it seems worthwhile. :-)
>
> you're right, i like the idea creating a nested exception. For the
> particular case, it would be enough to create a NestedRuntimeException
> which works under both JVM's.

Or, the alternate way; 1.4 has Throwable.initCause(), so that you can do:

} catch (IOException ie) {
  Throwable t = new RuntimeException("Problems!!!");
  t.initCause(ie);
  throw t;
}

instead of

} catch (IOException ie) {
  throw new RuntimeException("Problems", ie);
}

And because of this, you can create a simple utility method that

(a) Takes two Throwables as arguments (new exception to throw,
  the nested exception)
(b) Uses reflection to find method Throwable.initCause(); catching
  NoSuchMethodException for 1.3
(c) If (b) returns (non-null), call Method on the first Throwable, passing
  second one as argument.

This utility method can actually be called either from code that constructs
the exception; or in case of a derived exception, from its constructor.

Above may sound more complicated than it really is.... it's less than 10 lines
of code, all in all.

Anyway, I don't have a strong preference either way, but if someone feels it
worth pursuing, feel free to implement the idea :-)

-+ Tatu +-