lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: jdk 1.3 versus jdk 1.4
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:10:50 GMT
On Monday 15 November 2004 13:47, Bernhard Messer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since the last changes in lucene, we are not longer backward compatible
> with jdk 1.3. All the pure guys, running IBM WebSphere 4.x with IBM JDK
> 1.3, lost their chances to run lucene newer than version 1.4.2.
> Especially in huge companies, where it is not so trivial to upgrade to a
> new java version, this could reduce the acceptance for lucene
>
> There are two major reasons for loosing the compatibility:
>  - several code parts like:
>     catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {
>       throw new RuntimeException(e);
>     }
> ;-) The second problem could be solved easily using the string constructor
> in java.lang.RuntimeException which is available since 1.0.
> At least we have to document it somehow. There is a chapter "What are
> Lucene system requirements" in the faq. Is this an ideal place to
> document it.
>
> I'd like to make the changes for being backward compatible as far as
> possible. Does anybody disagree ?

It is also possible to solve this second problem in a way that both allows
Lucene code to use proper Exception nesting, if available (running on 1.4+),
and omit it if not (1.3). This can be done using bit of Reflection.

The reason this is sometimes useful is that knowledge about nested exception
is very useful for debugging; especially line numbers.
 (in my case I use it to keep Woodstox XML-parser 1.2 compatible, while using
LinkedHashMap, and nested exceptions, if possible)

The solution is not a one-liner though (if someone is interested, let me know
and I can point you to the source code), so maybe it's easier to just "dumb
it down" to using String constructor. But I just thought I'll mention that it
can be completely resolved if it seems worthwhile. :-)

-+ Tatu +-