lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: QueryParser and backwards-compatibility
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:08:49 GMT
On Oct 11, 2004, at 4:31 AM, Christoph Goller wrote:
> It seems that I did not think enough about the changes in QueryParser.
> They definitely break the API. Sorry for doing this a little bit too
> hastily. The following changes in QueryParser break the API:
>
> 1) Analyzer argument in both getFieldQuery methods
> 2) Analyzer argument in getRangeQuery
> 3) Additional minSimilarity argument in getFuzzyQuery

For 1-3, as long as the old signature was added back (and possibly
deprecated), there is no problem keeping the new signature.

> 4) Default minimum similarity in query parser
> 5) FuzzyQuery.toString which also contains minSimilarity
>
> These things clearly could break existing applications. So the best
> solution would be to undo them. I am not sure whether we should undo
> 4 and 5, since they make fuzzy queries a little bit more usable and
> QueryParser is able to read the new FuzzyQuery.toString. But other
> applications may not ....

You sent a follow-up e-mail about moving the default value back to
zero.  That seems fine to me.  It's no big deal about
FuzzyQuery.toString - I doubt folks are relying on its output to parse
again, so you can leave that behavior as is.  I just happened to have a
test case that relied on it, but no production code.

> Since 1.4.2 is already out, we would have to make a version 1.4.3.

A new release is fine with me.

	Erik