lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Goller <gol...@detego-software.de>
Subject Re: What's the purpose of hashing docid in BooleanScorer
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:36:23 GMT
Roy schrieb:
> While studying the search code, I got a question: in BooleanScorer,
> when collecting docids and scores from subscorers, the docids are
> hashed through buckettable first. What's the purpose of doing the
> hashing?

The purpose of buckettable is to gather all scores from the subscorers
for a certain interval of documents. Only after evaluating all
subscorers on the current interval of documents we have enough info
to decide whether a document is a hit or not.

With the current scorer API one could get rid of buckettable and
advance all subscores only by one document each time. I am not sure
whether the bucketable implementation is really much more efficient.
I only see the advantage of inlining some of the scorer.next and
score.score code.

Christoph