lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Guillermo Payet <>
Subject GIS
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:34:28 GMT

I'm new here, so first of all I'd like to say hello to everyone.

So, hi there...

I just spent two days trying to get Lucene to handle "geographically
constricted" searches for our website. (Check out

I got close, but no cigar. (it works, but is very slow)

We need to be able to do searches only within a geographicaly limited
set of documents.  (In this case, our member listings)

So... I'd like to volunteer to add the needed functions in Lucene

  - build a LatLonField class for geographical coordinates
  - build a LatLonRectTerm (or whatever) to define matches
    within a latitude/longituded defined rectangle.
  - build a LatLonRadiusTerm (or whatever) to define all matches
    within X distance from a point (lat,lon).

We're now doing all of this through MySQL, which works "ok", but leaves
a lot to be desired for the relevance of search results for a lot of
searches.  I've already written all the spherical trig functions to
to do these searches accurately, and I'd love to port them into

So my questions are:

 - Has there been any talk about doing this before?
 - Is this a bad idea for any reason?
 - What would be the right approach to do this?

The fact that Lucene stores and indexes (or seems it seems) all terms
as Strings and that there is no NumericTerm makes me think that I
might be missing something and that this migh be a much bigger deal
than I think?

Guillermo Payet
L O C A L  H A R V E S T

Every Morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and
an inclination to savor it.  This makes it hard to plan the day.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message