lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Naber <daniel.na...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: FuzzyQuery prefix length
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:42:36 GMT
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 17:22, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Which is worse: a person who searches for Photokopie~ in a 1000 document
> collection does not find documents containing Fotokopie; or a person who
> searches for Photokopie~ in a 1M document collection doesn't find
> anything because it takes too long.  I think some relevant results are
> better than none.

I disagree, as the user who doesn't get the "Fotokopie" matches will not
understand what's going on. He will assume that there are no such
documents, which is wrong. If there's a timeout the user will at least
notice something is wrong. Besides that, it's the developers
responsibility to get things fast enough. If he decides to do so with a
prefix that might be okay for his use case.

I'll try to do some performance tests with fuzzy query tomorrow on a
250,000 document index.

Regards
 Daniel

--