lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Naber <daniel.na...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: FuzzyQuery prefix length
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:50:15 GMT
On Monday 11 October 2004 18:20, Doug Cutting wrote:

> However 2.0 is our opportunity to make incompatible changes.  What is
> the best default for this, that will work well for the most
> applications?

I see the following problems with a default > 0:

-It is the only change so far that we cannot express in the API, i.e. we
cannot just deprecate a method to make Lucene's users aware of this. So we
can only list it in CHANGES.txt, where some people will surely miss it.

-There are words in German like Photokopie/Fotokopie which have the same
meaning and a very similar spelling, so people will expect a FuzzyQuery to
match such words. But as the difference is in the first two characters it
won't be found with the default.

-People whose index is just 1000 documents large will probably not notice a
difference in speed, but they might see a difference in quality (see
above). Why should these people change the default instead of those with a
10 mio document index?

Regards
 Daniel

--